The programme has been designed so that the experiences of trainees on the two training routes: SCITT Fee-paying and SCITT Salaried, run in parallel wherever possible. The two training routes will both result in Qualified Teacher Status (QTS). The programme is also designed so that the primary and secondary phase courses parallel one another during the year, using a mix of cross phase and separate phase training sessions.
The five course modules are as follows:
- School Based Training 1 – Autumn Term (Teacher Mentor Assessed)
- School Based Training 2 – Spring Term (Teacher Mentor Assessed)
- School Based Training 3 – Summer Term (Teacher Mentor Assessed)
- Subject Knowledge and Curriculum – All Year (Subject Tutor Assessed)
- Professional Studies and Pedagogy – All Year (Course Leader Assessed)
Our programme of study is built around a variety of trainee learning activities as follows:
- Weekly professional studies seminar sessions held at Leventhorpe on Thursday mornings. These last for two hours.
- Subject studies sessions consisting of at least ten two-hour sessions of direct tuition. These will be taught by Subject Specialist Tutors from one of our partner schools. Where possible we schedule these on Thursdays and failing this, after school.
- Wider teacher training group sessions. These last for about an hour and a half on Thursday afternoons and all trainees are invited including those working with other ITT providers (e.g. Cambridge)
- Weekly lesson observations and teacher mentor meetings in the placement schools where teaching practice will be discussed.
- Trainee self-study (with weekly reflective outcome in files). These “Reflections” are read by the Teacher Mentor and together build a reflective journal.
- Trainee Academic Assignment (TAA, with outcomes assessed again the relevant Teacher Standards). These assignments are academic projects set by and assessed by the professional studies course leader and Training Manager.
- Course reading tasks from the resources posted on our Virtual Learning Environment (VLE).
- Other experiences (visits or other school based activity).